White pad, or red spots? Now you may stretch your tongue out – without a bad Conscience. Because of the sensitive sensory organ not only transmitted, if something tastes sweet or salty. But there are also clues to certain diseases.
Everyone knows the doctor visit: Please mouth wide open! With a glance at the tongue, the physician starts his diagnostic. Pink, clean and covered in papillae, the taste buds contain the healthy tongue looks like. Color, shape, spots, or plaques give information about certain diseases.
As small elevations of the papillae located on the tongue. There are on the one hand, those who are for the tactile sensations are responsible and on the other hand, those for the taste. In its Interior, the so-called taste are buds.
Some of the clues you can also decipher even with a look in the mirror. Important two aspects are:
The lining and the patches on the tongue:
- White pad: This change has often a cold. A gastrointestinal disease such as Gastritis (gastric mucosa inflammation) is a possible cause for the discoloration.
- Coated tongue without a cold: White spots can often be wiped away and come back. In this case, a fungal infection (oral thrush) is likely to be.
- Yellow pad or brown-yellow color: This indicates liver and biliary disease.
- Brown lining: could be a sign of kidney weakness.
- Grey tongue: note the strong iron deficiency
- Black hair tongue (Lingua pilosa nigra): The papillae of the tongue are elongated and partially verhornt. Possible causes of disorders of the digestive system or antibiotic therapy. In General, the black hair tongue is harmless.
- Raspberry tongue, sometimes strawberry tongue called The taste organ is strongly reddened, and the taste buds to kick something. This is a classic sign of recognition for scarlet fever that occurs approximately on the third day of illness. You go to the doctor because the disease is highly contagious. Also, measles can be tongue the cause of a Raspberry.
In infants and small children, this shiny redness may indicate the presence of the Kawasaki syndrome. These febrile illness should be treated by a doctor.
- Reddened stripes and spots plus reddened and enlarged taste buds: These symptoms may be evidence of Glossitis, the tongue of the inflammation. The reasons for this are varied and range from Diabetes and iron deficiency anemia, and fungal infection (oral thrush) up to vitamin deficiency (e.g. Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin C) and dental stone.
- Deep red, shiny and smooth tongue: This is the “varnish tongue”. It indicates severe liver diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver. In this case, you should consult urgently a doctor.
- Whitish and reddish nodules and lines on the tongue: The nodules (papules) change to deep red depressions with gray yellow edge hem. Probably, it is a map of the tongue (Lingua geographica), the surface changes to transform itself. The changes on the mucous membrane of the tongue are considered harmless and usually need no treatment. Anyone who has complaints, which often helps to avoid acidic foods.
- Small white-yellowish, sore Spots with a reddish edge: It could be canker sores act, so innocuous Mucosal lesions. In General, you self-heal. If this is not the case, or the growths are larger, should check with a doctor, whether it is a Tumor.
Also, the tongue shape can indicate health problems. So the cause of a thin and narrow tongue weakness may be a Blood. An enlarged tongue, for example, can indicate allergies or metabolic disorders such as hyperthyroidism.
Other symptoms to Form the tongue:
- Wrinkles and Furrows: These variations of the mucous membrane are usually congenital and typical for the fold of the tongue – of-the-normally not a problem. Sometimes the folds of the tongue can cause burning sensation of the Tongue.
In rare cases, the deep wrinkles on the Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome (inflammatory disease).
- Furrows and cracks: Depending on how they are pronounced, this tongue characteristics of different intestinal problems suspect, such as in the duodenum.
- Cracks: A doctor should check if you are in a deficiency of trace elements or vitamins suffering.
- Longitudinal grooves: are also typical of Syphilis.
- Inflammation or lump on the tongue can, as well as unexplained bleeding, a sign of oral cancer.
- Swollen tongue: the cause of The tongue swelling could be an infection or an Allergy. In some cases, the angioedema can be Edema, a sudden onset of swelling, cause a swollen tongue.
- A smooth or fleshy tongue could be due to a Vitamin B12-, iron-, folic acid deficiency, and anaemia may indicate.
- Ulcers could on Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis point.
The best time to analyze the tongue of the Initiative ProDente, after getting Up. Who discovered in the tongue diagnosis in the light of day changes, she should discuss with his doctor or dentist.